The Heirloom Toy Train
A five-car Train that's loads of fun for you to build -- and durable enough to be around for your grandchildren and great-grandchildren to enjoy
The Flat Car
1. Cut the basic car pieces and 10 extra axles. Drill ten 3/8" dia. holes in the Car Platform (Z) for the vertical Axles. Holes should be spaced 2-3/16" apart in two rows, 3" apart, 3/8" in from either edge of the Platform.
2. Glue Axles (R) into these holes, protruding above the Platform as shown.
3. Assemble the Basic Car.
The Box Car
Cut out the Basic Car Pieces plus the pieces listed for the Box Car.
1. Cut out the Basic Car pieces, pus the pieces listed for the Box Car.
2. Glue the Box Car Sides (DD) to the Car Front and Back (CC). Reinforce with dowels or screws, as you prefer. Glue Box Car Side/Front/Back Assemblies to Platform (Z), leaving a 3" space between Assemblies for the Doors. Reinforce with dowels or screws, as you prefer.
3. Cut a 5/16" rabbet, 5/16" deep in the tops and bottoms of the Car Doors (EE). Drill a 3/8" dia. hole, midway up the Door sides and 3/8" in from one side for the Door Pulls, as shown.
||The rabbets in the Box Car Doors (EE) ride on the inside Door Slides (FF).
Glue the Door Pulls (HH) into these holes with the ends protruding from the sides opposite the rabbets.
4. Glue two inside Door Slides (FF) to the Car Platform (Z), 1/2" in from the Box Car Sides (DD). Position the Doors in place with the rabbets riding on the Slides. Repeat this process for the opposite side of the Car Platform.
Repeat the steps above for affixing the Door Slides (FF) to the underside of the Box Car Top (AA). Set the Top (AA) into position with the Doors riding in the Slides and check to be sure the Doors slide properly.
5. Spread a liberal amount of glue on the top of the Box Car Sides, Front, Back and Upper Inside Door Slides and glue the Car Top (AA) in place. Reinforce with dowels or screws, as you prefer.
Glue the Top Rail (BB) down the middle of the Car Top (AA). Glue the Outside Door Slides (GG) to the Car Platform (Z), the inside edge flush with the inside edge of the Box Car Sides (DD).
6. Assemble the Basic Car.
1. Cut out the Basic Car pieces and the pieces listed for the Pullman Car, using the patterns provided.
2. Glue the Car Front and Back (CC) to the Pullman Sides (II). Glue the Car Top (AA) to the Pullman Assembly. The Top should overhang the Car Front and Back by 1-7/8". Reinforce with dowels or screws, as you prefer. Glue Top Rail (BB) down the middle of the Car Top (AA).
3. Temporarily position the Pullman Assembly and Observation Railings (JJ) on the Car Platform. The Railings should be 1-1/8" away from the Car Front and Back. Mark for position, then glue in place and reinforce with dowels or screws, as you prefer.
4. Assemble the Basic Car.
We recommend that you finish your Toy Train with a non-toxic Salad Bowl Finish. If you build a long Train - a Locomotive and several cars - you may find it timesaving to cut the pieces (wheels, mounts, platforms, etc.) all at once. Look over the Bills of Materials, add up the number and types of pieces you'll need, then set up your MARK V for “mass production”.
One more tip...When you finish assembling your Train, get down on the floor, hook the cars together and play with it to your heart's content. Once you give this to a child, you'll never have another opportunity to do so...unless you build another for yourself !